IN EVERY STEP OF OUR PRODUCTION, WE TAKE SPECIAL CARE IN REGARDS TO WATER MANAGEMENT, IMPROVING AIR QUALITY, SAVING ENERGY, AND REDUCING MATERIAL WASTE.
OUR COMMITMENT TO OUR HOME IS LOVE FOR THE PLANET, IS LEONISA’S SUSTAINABLE SPIRIT.
We’re committed to saving water
- We have a treatment plant where we treat 100% of the water we use in our creation process. Out of that, we reuse 20% of the water. The rest is discharged into the sewage system, complying with the highest environmental regulations.
- Our goal for the coming years is to reuse 60% of our treated water.
- Our dyeing machines are state-of-the-art and have different capacities, which allows us to optimize our water use. They are also routinely checked and undergo strict maintenance, ensuring that they’re always in optimal conditions.
We’re committed to energy management
- We have a set of solar panels, capable of generating 700,000 kW a year of electric energy using only sunlight. In that way, we’re able to reduce our emissions by 250 tons of CO2 every year. To clean up that much CO2 would require 920 mature trees. Out of all the energy we use, 6% is renewable energy. Our goal over the next few years is to increase it to 15%.
- We use electric energy efficiently. Through our efficient and rational use plan, we’ve managed to reduce our energy consumption by 10%. We are committed to maintaining this figure.
We’re committed to air quality
- We control the atmospheric emissions generated by our operations to guarantee that they’re 100% free of particulate matter. To achieve this, we use clean fuel and maintain our machinery in optimal conditions. Our state-of-the-art technology keeps volatile organic compounds out of our emissions.
We’re committed to using more eco-friendly materials.
- We’ve developed 100% compostable corn-based bags, thus avoiding using 50 tons of plastic bags per year.
- We’ve stopped using plastic hooks, switching to reusable hooks, allowing us to save 11 tons of plastic per year.
- We now protect our garments with smaller blister packs, letting us cut back our plastic use by 5.5 tons per year.
- In total, we’ve reduced our plastic use by 66.5 tons per year. Our goal in the coming years is to increase this by 38 tons by ceasing to use plastic bags for our clothes.
- Some of our tags are made of seed paper. You can plant them and grow a plant!
- We set up mailboxes in 41 Leonisa stores to collect tags, which we then recycled, or even reused if they were in good condition. So far, we’re able to collect 5% of our packaging through retail, and our goal is to increase that to 15% by including other channels.
We believe in the power of reusing and conserving materials
- We use fabric scraps to create new products.
- We reuse or sell all of our waste fabric so that nothing goes to waste.
- We send our fabric scraps to companies that separate the threads to create new raw materials; what’s unusable for that purpose is sent to a company that converts fabrics into briquettes for cement kilns, which have high standards for controlling atmospheric emissions.
- Our production plant workers have changed out single-use containers for reusable ones, such as drawers and production organizers made from leftover fabrics and other waste.
- Our distribution center is high-tech, moving around 25 million garments every year. To store and transport our garments, we don’t use cardboard boxes, but long-lasting plastic crates.
- We’re always looking for the best way to reduce our fabric waste. We’re constantly searching for new ways to optimize our material use from start to finish.