Use and care: How to wash your underwear and delicate girdles
ACCOMPLICES OF YOUR INTERIOR
Learn how to care for bras, lingerie, shapewear and more, including information on how to wash and dry them. Leonisa.
Here is all the information I have gathered over the years to help you keep your bras, underwear, girdles or any other garment classified as "delicate" in the better way.
In my years as a Personal Shopper, I have always made sure that our consumers know not only how find the girdle or bra that best suits your needs, but also how to care for them. The same as you favorite blouse, the care of these garments requires a little more love and dedication. But do not worry! Learning to do it like a professional is easier than you imagine, care does not require any special tool or the need to take them to the dry cleaner (unless you want it).
The 10 Commandments of Gentle Care
Don't have time to read our full guide? There is a lot of information you should know about maintaining certain fabrics and garments to keep them in good condition, but if you continue to these 10 commandments, you'll have no trouble cleaning, drying, and storing your favorite pieces.
- 1. You will not use hot water.
- 2. You will not use bleach or strong detergents.
- 3. You won't scrub too hard.
- 4. You won't get it too wet.
- 5. You won't go long without washing it.
- 6. You should not machine dry it.
- 7. You will not iron it.
- 8. You will not put other things in the drawers.
- 9. You will not dry it in a humid environment.
- 10. Don't worry too much about care!
Wash: by hand is better
Washing your bras and other undergarments frequently is important to help ensure they keep fresh and clean. The fact is that these items tend to absorb sweat (and start to smell) throughout the day. This is why you must have a good washing routine so that your clothes maintain their perfect shape and appearance.
- Always read care labels: Before you wash it, be sure to read the garment care labels. There is a nearly universal symbol convention that makes deciphering the care requirements of any garment is very simple. The symbols on the label care instructions will tell you how to wash, what types of detergents you can (and can't) use, and whether it's safe to dry and iron them. You may even want to hang a poster in the laundry area for reference.
- Know your materials: Another important thing to do is to know the different types of fabrics and how they should be cleaned. For example, our latex girdle has special care instructions (must be washed in lukewarm water with baby shampoo and stored in a place without sunlight). Learn about the different types of fabrics to get a general idea of how they must be cleaned.
- Start with a gentle soak: to clean your delicate garments, always starts with a quick, gentle soak in cool or lukewarm water to loosen any dirt or stains difficult. However, make sure you don't leave them in the water for too long or you risk them colors fade. Pay attention to any stain and lightly rub it with soap, do it with your fingers
- Wash it frequently and rotate it: how often you should wash your bras It varies and I'll tell you why. For one thing, you need to wash them often enough to remove sweat stains and strong odors. On the other hand, you should not wash them too often. because you could wear them out and shorten their useful life. I recommend washing your bras and girdles with often, but not every time you use them. Try to rotate your bras and wash them every three or four garments.
- Hand wash in cold or lukewarm water: for best results, any garment listed as "delicate" should be hand washed in cold or lukewarm water. never wash Fragile parts with hot water or put them in a hot dryer. The simple fact is that the Heat is the enemy of many fabrics, and washing clothes in cold water will help them last longer by prevent dyes from fading and fibers from shrinking.
- Always wash gently: Always wash your delicate clothes with a detergent smooth. And remember, even hand washing can be too harsh for certain pieces! not the you'll want to scrub too hard because too much friction and pressure could damage the fabric and cause them to age faster. Remove stains and build-up by gently moving the fabric between your hands under the Water.
- Machine wash with care: you can wash your delicate garments, intimate garments, girdles and more in the washing machine as long as you practice extreme care and use the most delicate parts of your machine. Here I explain how to wash delicate items suitable for machine:
- Wash with similar garments of the same color or style. This will help prevent seam damage.
- Use a delicate bag, a finely woven mesh bag that adds a layer of protection around of your fragile garments, for underwear and bras. If you don't have one, you can use a old pillow tied with a knot.
- Never wash delicate garments with bleach or fabric softeners. These will deteriorate the fabric faster.
- When washing bras and girdles, make sure everything is closed, buttoned, or fastened beforehand to prevent clothes from getting tangled together.
- Use the cold or delicate cycle of your washing machine to ensure that you are not exposing your garments to high temperatures or any sharp action that may cause permanent damage.
Drying: choose gentle air drying
Washing is only half the process. You should also think about how to dry your freshly washed clothes and ready to use as quickly as possible. As a general rule, it's best not to let your bras, girdles or lingerie come close to a conventional dryer. In this case, a good old fashioned clothesline is just the thing! best! Here are some of our best tips on how to dry your delicates without damaging them.
- Do not squeeze or wring wet garments: As tempting as it may be, never squeeze your delicates, especially bras. Instead, rub with a thick towel to absorb excess moisture and lay flat on a surface or hang to dry for a few hours. Squeezing and twisting can cause the bra to lose its shape and create stretch marks on your cups.
- Never put delicates in the dryer: As we already mentioned, the heat can change the look, feel, and size of certain materials, especially materials that they tend to be found in bras and girdles. High heat and the harsh action of the dryer can cause cause the fabric to shrink as it deforms the elastic and puts extra stress on the zippers. You The best option is always to hang delicate items to dry or let them dry on a flat surface.
- Air dry in the shade: the sun can do a lot of damage to your favorite items, especially those that have bright colors. Be sure to hang your delicates so they dry somewhere in the shade to avoid excessive exposure to the sun. The sun can make the color to fade while deteriorating the fabric and causing garments to lose their shape.
- Do not iron anything delicate: As you can see, a common theme is emerging: NO HEAT! that means iron is also completely off limits. If you want a way extra gentle way to steam delicate garments, you can hang them outside on a hot and humid day or let them hang out in the bathroom while you shower.
- Do not dry in a damp area: a little moisture can help soften the stubborn wrinkles, but high humidity can prevent garments from drying completely and can create a hospitable environment for the growth of smelly mold. Dry in a cool, dry place to make sure the pieces dry completely and smell fresh when they're done, not in the basement or balcony on a super humid day.
Storage and travel: take care of your best clothes
I have seen many women make the mistake of expertly caring for their most beautiful garments, only to
damage them while they are stored. How to store your clothes when you're not wearing them (and when you're
travel) is essential to keep them in perfect condition, so do not keep them in your drawer or
blind suitcase. Here are some of my favorite storage tips.
For bras and girdles with bra cups
Anything that has molded bra cups or bows will be a bit more delicate than garments that they don't have them. The wrong movement can leave the cups permanently deformed and prevent them from fit and support properly.
- Hanging is the best. If you have extra space, hang your shapewear and bras from hooks instead of putting them in drawers. This will prevent them from becoming flattened or warped.
- To store in a drawer, use the unique shape of the cups to stack bras and sashes one on top of the other so nothing gets crushed.
- Don't fold your bras or put them in a small space. This can deform the cups, temples and other materials permanently and can cause straps to snag on other articles.
- Fill them with socks. Don't let your bra cups get crushed under the pressure! pressure of your luggage! Stuff with socks or other items (just the ones you don't mind crinkle) to help maintain the shape of the cup. You can also buy special cases for bra to keep them perfectly separated.
- Do not stack anything on top of the bras, as this can cause the cups to flatten and can be difficult to recover when you arrive at your destination and want to wear bras. The same goes for bikini tops that have molded cups or bows!
- Pack light bras and girdles no cups or rods so you don't have to worry about damaging them during the trip. Sports bras and comfortable bralettes are always a excellent option for this!
Delicates are an investment
Many times during my career as a Personal Shopper, women have asked me: "Why
taking care of my bras and underwear requires more work than the rest of my clothes?" Here's why:
you wear the same underwear much more than you would wear a dress, a shirt or pants. This
This means that your undergarments need to be washed much more frequently and that they need to be much more
I like to think of my delicates as an investment. If you think in the cost per use (how much you paid for the garment in total divided by how many times you used it), there is a good chance that your favorite bras and panties will come out in just pennies. protect your investment requires two important steps: buy only high-quality bras, underwear, and shapewear from the best brands and know how to take care of them so they last longer.
Other topics that may interest you
How to better preserve your swimsuits
Here you will find 8 tips of what YES you should do and what definitely NOT.
A bra for every occasion
I don't know if you know, but underwear has power and magic over us women to make us feel and see in a different way.
What is my bust size?
It may sound very logical to know what size of bust you have, but many times for not knowing it correctly, you can make not-so-wise decisions when it comes to choosing the perfect clothes for you.